In The New York Times Book Review, Khalil Gibran Muhammad reviews Chris Hayes’s “A Colony in a Nation.” Muhammad writes:
“A Colony in a Nation” opens with Hayes moving through security checkpoints at the 2000 Republican National Convention. As he hands over his bag, he realizes he has a small amount of marijuana in an eyeglass case. When the police find his stash, they let it pass. “The police officer who’d found the drugs put my bag on a table and looked at me, as if to say, Go ahead and take it.”
Drawing heavily on personal experiences as a white kid growing up in the crack-era Bronx and attending a magnet school on the border of East Harlem, much of Hayes’s book unfolds along the axis of two “distinct regimes” in America. One for whites, what he calls the Nation; the other for blacks, what he calls the Colony.
On this week’s podcast, Hayes talks about “A Colony in a Nation”; Jason Zinoman discusses “Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night”; Jennifer Schuessler has news from the literary world; and Parul Sehgal and John Williams on what people are reading. Pamela Paul is the host.
Here are the books (and the article) mentioned in this week’s “What We’re Reading”:
“Bento’s Sketchbook” by John Berger
“Ghachar Ghochar” by Vivek Shanbhag
“The Possessed” by Elif Batuman
“The Belly of Paris” by Émile Zola
We would love to hear your thoughts about this episode, and about the Book Review’s podcast in general. You can send them to email@example.com.
How do I listen? Two ways
From a desktop or laptop , you can listen by pressing play on the button above.
Or if you’re on a mobile device, the instructions below will help you find and subscribe to the series.
1. Open your podcast app. It’s a pre-loaded app called “Podcasts” with a purple icon.
2. Search for the series. Tap on the “search” magnifying glass icon at the bottom of the screen, type in “Inside The New York Times Book Review” and select it from the list of results.
3. Subscribe. Once on the series page, tap on the “subscribe” button to have new episodes sent to your phone free. You may want to adjust your notifications to be alerted when a new episode arrives.
4. Or just sample. If you would rather listen to an episode or two before deciding to subscribe, just tap on the episode title from the list on the series page. If you have an internet connection, you’ll be able to stream the episode.
On your Android phone or tablet:
1. Open your podcast app. It’s a pre-loaded app called “Play Music” with an orange-and-yellow icon.
2. Search for the series. Click on the magnifying glass icon at the top of the screen, search for the name of the series, and select it from the list of results. You might have to scroll down to find the “Podcasts” search results.
3. Subscribe. Once on the series page, click on the word “subscribe” to have new episodes sent to your phone for free.
4. Or just sample. If you would rather listen to an episode or two before deciding to subscribe, just click on the episode title from the list on the series page. If you have an internet connection, you’ll be able to stream the episode.
1 Book Review
#1 Book Review Search